Call for Proposals
Deadline for submissions:
September 30, 2019
Selected speakers will be notified by:
October 15, 2019
Send your submission to:
The Top Hat Engage programming team may be in touch to gather more information on your proposal prior to that date.
Submissions should fall under one of the following categories:
- Designing courses to address 21st century challenges
- Teaching practices that drive learner outcomes
- Evidence-based approaches to instruction
- Top Hat demonstration: Innovative and/or effective applications of Top Hat
- Top Hat Efficacy Grant Program Proposal
Note: Your proposal does not need to reference use of Top Hat in order to be considered.
How to submit your proposal
Submitting a proposal in any category does not require you to be prepared to deliver a full session-length talk on your topic of discussion. Engage 2020 programming will feature a mix of lectures, roundtable discussions, interactive workshops and technical demonstrations, and ideas will be considered for any of these formats.
Proposals should be submitted in one of two formats:
- Written proposal: In 200 to 500 words, describe the work, research or perspective on one of the above themes that you would like to share with other faculty attending Engage 2020. If you are applying to the Top Hat Efficacy Grant Program, please indicate that clearly and follow the specific instructions provided for grant proposals here.
- Video submission: Use your device to record a 30–60 second video proposal (no fancy production necessary—we’re assessing you ideas, not your movie-making abilities).
Announcing the Top Hat Efficacy Grant Program Proposal
In 2019–2020, Top Hat will be granting $8,000 to five innovative educators to investigate how various implementations of the Top Hat platform impact teaching effectiveness, engagement and learner outcomes in their class, or in a wider field of study.
While grants will be awarded prior to Engage 2020, grant applicants, if their proposal is selected, are required to present their research proposal in a symposium format during the conference.